An update on our Internationalization plan

Every week our users remind us that offering Get Satisfaction in languages other than English is very important to them – they have global businesses and need to reach their users in many different languages.

As our co-founder Thor Muller explained on our community, internationalizing our product required major platform and interface updates. We spent the last couple of quarters doing just that – we changed our infrastructure to support other languages and completely re-designed our topic page.

So now we’re in a position to take the next step in our internationalization journey: a private Beta program. The goals of this pilot are to 1) validate our internationalization choices, 2) identify the best technical solutions for localizing our product, and 3) review the quality of product translations.

After interviewing a number of customers and reviewing the feedback from our community, we are letting community admins select French, German or Spanish as the preferred language of their new Beta communities. Building communities around one language – instead of mixing several – has many benefits:

• Eliminates confusion, since users don’t have to filter out content they don’t understand.
  • Enables community managers to better address new topics, while handling trolls and spammers.
  • Creates a vehicle for the company to target different markets, since each community will be segmented by language.
  • Allows for language-based search refinements.

The pilot includes the languages our users requested the most. We’ll be inviting more folks to participate in the coming weeks, so please let me know if you’re interested in joining the Beta program. This pilot runs until the end of June and we’ll post more updates soon!

Posted in General
25 comments on “An update on our Internationalization plan
  1. Andres says:

Hi Geysa, you don’t know how interested we are in joining the Beta program! (spanish) Please let me know how can I activate it to my community.
    Thanks

2. Laura Thomas says:

Yola wants in please!!

3. Hendrik Maat says:

Hi there, we are interested in the German Beta and are willing to run it on the page of one of our customers, which happens to be the biggest online shop for electronic devices in europe.

Please contact me asap.

Thank you!

4. Ricardo says:

Hello,

First of all thanks for the fast reply I got to my question.

I’d be more than pleased of testing Get Satisfaction in French.

Please let me know how can I be part of the beta program.

Richi.

P.S. If you need testers for the Spanish option I can do it to

5. monika says:

hello!

Do you need an translator?

Count me in!

6. I would like to join the beta….

7. Sean says:

We’d like to test the French beta

8. Dave says:

Hi,
    I would like to participate in the beta ASAP! This is one of the main reasons I chose GetSatisfaction was the support for multiple languages ‘coming soon’.
    Thanks,
    Dave

9. Hi Geysa, I’m interested to join the Beta program! (French) Please let me know how can I activate it to our websites. Cheers.

10. Matthieu says:

Hi,

We are interested in getting involved in the (french) beta, and help GetSatisfaction getting better in french 🙂

Thanks
    Matthieu

11. Kim LAfond says:

Yes i really want de Beta for french, we only have a french customer, it’s important for us.

Thanks

12. Angus Parker says:

Hello Geysa, we would like to beta French, Spanish and Portuguese (Brazilian). Best, Angus

13. Jaime says:

really cool to see some activity on this topic.
    waiting pt_BR support! 🙂

Regards,

14. We would like to have a multilingual community, in German, French and English.

15. Jason says:

No Italian:-( we are able to translate it if you want!

16. ¡¡Spanish por favor!! When is it going to be available for any regular customer??